Friday, July 28, 2006

home is where the heart is


"Where ever I lay my hat, that's my home"

"Country road, take me home to the place I belong"

We are just about to move home (God willing), but where we live now isn't really our home, we rent it off someone else.

Australia is currently my home, but my entire upbringing was in England which I still call home too.

A house/unit is know as home, a country is also know as home, but is home where the heart is?

Every now and again, not very often but on occasion I think to myself "I am in Sydney, in Australia and I am married to a Australian". I know you all might be saying, Derrrrrrrr we all know that. I know that, but once and a while it hits me that I am so far away from England, from my family, from my England friends and from my 'home' of 26 years. Today as I had one of 'those' moments I thought to myself, well nowhere on this earth will ever truly be home.

I like our current unit and love the new place we are hoping to move in to, I love Australia and I miss England but I don't find fulfilment in any of these things, I can't take comfort in them. You have a home today but it could be gone tomorrow, you might live in England for 26 years and then move to another country.

We will never be content here on earth and we can never truly call this place home. Heaven is where we will finally be in our eternal home with our Lord and God. I always wonder what it will be like, what we will do and what is will look like. I know we get glimpses of this in the bible but I look forward to one day seeing, knowing and experiencing what it is like.

Let's all try to remember that this is just a little stop over, our homes here on earth are temporary, we have something so much more amazing to look forward to, this verse is a very exciting verse:

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going." John 14:1-4

God has prepared a place for us, a place where he promises we will be joint heirs with Christ. In his house he has many rooms which has prepared for each and everyone of us who believe in his son. Unbelievable isn't it.

When we are disheartened with the things in this world, let's remember it doesn't end here, we have something far more spectacular to come. Let's keep our heart where our true home will be, in heaven.

19 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

Great post Nixter. I'm realising that we'll be moving lots over the next twenty years or so, and can I say, moving churches is really hard - because if we were ever to go back and visit our last churches, the people who were there then would no longer be there...

I look forward to heaven.

Fri Jul 28, 03:34:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

I am sure that is hard Ruth, at least when we get to heaven there will be no moving or changing churches. I always want to keep in touch, even if you move churches ;) DEAL!

Fri Jul 28, 03:37:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Thanks Nix. I do keep up with some friends from each of the churches we have gone to...Deal.

Fri Jul 28, 04:45:00 PM  
Blogger Priscilla said...

Heaven is going to be soooooo cool! I know what you mean about knowing a lot of people through different churches, walks of life, etc.

One time when I went to a Christian concert, I kept seeing all sorts of people I knew whom I hadn't seen in years. There were people from the church I grew up in, people I fellowshipped with in college, my gym teacher from high school (yep...she was a Christian), people from the singles fellowship group I had gone to in my 20's, people from the church I attended after college, and of course people I went to church with currently. I was so filled with joy at seeing so many people I knew. My husband was beginning to think I knew just about everyone! I was thinking, "Wow! This is a tiny taste of what heaven will be like!"

And it's going to be even more amazing! I will see my brother, whom we lost in 1983. I will meet the set of grandparent who died before I was born. I will also get to meet my Aunt, who died in a car accident when she was only 19 yrs old in 1948. I'll get to see Mabel DeVries...a beautiful old Dutch lady who loved Jesus and was one of the sweetest ladies I ever knew....and I'll get to meet a ton of Blogger brothers and sisters!

And way cooler than all that is that I'll meet Jesus!

Fri Jul 28, 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger CraigS said...

Lovely post

Sat Jul 29, 01:26:00 AM  
Blogger Giraffe Pen (기린 만년필) said...

I like your use of the quote from the John Denver song, Take Me Home (Country Road). SO many people sing that song in Korea! Even when they can't speak a word of English.

Sat Jul 29, 02:14:00 AM  
Blogger Giraffe Pen (기린 만년필) said...

Ja, I really liked your post. Heaven is going to be so good, we probably won't even remember our worldly homes. Australia is, in my *unbiased* opinion, the best country in the world but it certainly 'ain't heaven. Thank heaven for heaven, I say!

Sat Jul 29, 02:17:00 AM  
Blogger Priscilla said...

How can it be the best country in the world with all those poisonous snakes? lol! ;)

Sat Jul 29, 04:49:00 AM  
Blogger ckhnat said...

It is soooooo hard for me to know how to properly respond to the question: "Where are you from?"

Where do you consider home?

more and more the answer has become easy:

"Wherever my beating heart is."

By God's grace, He has given me the ability to adapt and feel at home anywhere.

Sat Jul 29, 11:06:00 AM  
Blogger ckhnat said...

the minister of the church i attended 2 years ago was from New Zealand. He had a few choice words to say about Oz and NZ.

Something about NZ being the place all believers stop before they get to heaven ... and Oz being nothing but a pretty desert.

I won't tell you about what he said about the people of Oz and their truthfulness or lack thereof...

whatever!

Sat Jul 29, 12:56:00 PM  
Blogger Giraffe Pen (기린 만년필) said...

With the best we Aussies love to take in the worst :)

Sun Jul 30, 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

That is so exciting Priscilla and how cool you will get to meet all those peole in heaven again. Yeah!

Mon Jul 31, 09:13:00 AM  
Blogger Nixter said...

that's great Ck, I think I have the same ability to adapt too.

You are 'dating' an Aussie now ;)

Mon Jul 31, 09:15:00 AM  
Blogger sophg said...

Ruth, I go to St Alban's in Lindfield, and people still talk about you and AB - there are still peopel there that remember you! And they love you guys heaps! I arrived on the scene just after your family left. Weird but true.

Mon Jul 31, 11:37:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

It was in college that I had my first realization of how great it is that as Christians we know that we will see each other again. One of my friends was moving to Europe and I just felt like I would never see him again. I was so happy to realize that with us it never has to be goodbye.

Turns out that he married and moved back to Oregon and I became good friends with his wife later on. :o)

Tue Aug 01, 03:44:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

thats so cool Tracy, what a great story and what a comfort to know that with our Christian friends it is never truly goodbye, more like see you later ;)

Tue Aug 01, 03:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Wed Aug 09, 12:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
»

Sat Aug 12, 03:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Thu Aug 17, 08:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home