Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Honesty - Shock


I was amazed today when I went into a cafe to give them back extra change they had given my work colleague NM. She got back to the office to discover they had given her too much change, $4.00. So I said I would go and give it back. I went over and explained that my friend had just come in to buy Brownies (yum) and that she was given too much change.

They just looked at me and didn't really know what to say. Now I am not telling you so you can pat us on the back for doing the 'right' thing, I was just taken back by the reaction of the lady behind the counter. She didn't say thankyou she just looked as me as if I was the most craziest person she had ever met. So I said "Is that OK?" and she said "Yes".

Before I became a Christian, that would have been a win - to pay for two chocolate brownies and get more money back that what you gave them. They would have been paying us for the brownies, but now I just couldn't do it. I always have a little bit of me that goes I would love to not bother going and telling them they got it wrong but I just couldn't not now.

I am not saying that people who aren't Christians can't be honest people, I am sure there are lots of people who would go back and correct the mistake, but God has worked and is still working in my heart to change me to be more like his Son. How great is that?

5 Comments:

Blogger Ruth said...

It's odd how shocked shop keepers can get - same thing has happened to me too. I'm glad God is working in our hearts - there would have been I time I would have kept the extra - although - I would always feel guilty about it.

Wed Jul 12, 04:15:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

I hear you Ruth. Part of me says "keep the money keep the money" but now I always go with the other little voice saying "go and give it back, you know it's the right thing to do"

Wed Jul 12, 04:38:00 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

That's cool, Nix. I would have given it back, mainly for the pleasure it would have brought for the cashier!

You gotta love God working in you..

Thu Jul 13, 08:38:00 AM  
Blogger CraigS said...

v cool!

Thu Jul 13, 02:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Sat Jul 22, 12:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home