Monday, July 10, 2006

Understanding Samson!


AB preached on Samson and Delilah last night, he did a great job and I loved his application.

I still am wondering what Samson is all about and what signifigance does he have? I see that there are applications to take from the story but in the history of Israel I just wonder what did he do?

Like with Elizabeth, Mary and Sarah God sent an Angel of the Lord to visit Samson's Mum who was sterile and childless and told her she was going to a son, a son who would be a Nazirite , set apart to God from birth, and he will begin the deliverance of Israel from the hands of the Philistines. He wasn't anything like John, Jesus or Issac? So why did God choose to do this with Samson who continued to ignore God and not live his way, he actually went out of his way to do all the things a Nazirite was not meant to do..

I just seem to be having a problem understanding this story of Samson. Even at the end of Samson's life, he asks God for strength one last time, and again this is to use the strength God has given him for revenge, not for the good of Israel but for revenge on the Philistines who gouged out his eyes.

Maybe I am just stupid but can you please help me understand??

I understand the applications Andrew spoke about last night but I still have trouble understanding the purpose of this story in the history of Israel and why God would go to the trouble he did of sending an Angel of God to Samson's mother knowing how Samson would live his life, in rejecting him...

PS Hope this makes some sense, haven't thought too much about what I am writing but just thought for once, I will say exactly what is in my head.... Plus I got up to watch the World Cup final ;)

11 Comments:

Blogger Nixter said...

I get that we shouldn't take God for granted and that grace is something to be cherished etc...

Mon Jul 10, 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Nixter said...

I am thinking about this and as the day goes on I will write what I am coming up with.

I guess Samson is Israel and it's sinfulness personified in a leader.

Mon Jul 10, 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger Nixter said...

He did kill more Philistines in his death than when he was alive.

Mon Jul 10, 11:31:00 AM  
Blogger CraigS said...

What did he do in the history of Israel? Well, mostly he failed. But that is the story of Israel, isn't it? And God continued to work through his failure.

As far as "Why did God create him, knowing he would reject Him?" - well, you can ask that question about any of us, can't you? The ultimate answer is that everything that happens in creation serves to glorify God. And you can see, pretty clearly, how the story of Sampson glorifies God...

Mon Jul 10, 02:16:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

Thanks for that Craig, the more I think about it the less confused I am BUT I will leave my post up because those were the things I was thinking of this morning so it's good to have notes of my thoughts.

Mon Jul 10, 02:27:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Hey Nix, I have some thoughts, but don't have time to write them now, because, as you will see on my blog 'rest time is over!'. I'll write them up tonight for you....I've done a lot of thinking about Samson over the years - and I have had some good chats with AB about Samson this week. He had so much more he wanted to say last night, but time and all that...

btw - did you get my email?

Mon Jul 10, 02:35:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

Thanks Ruth would love to hear your thoughts. It's weird but I just hadn't thought heaps about Samson before, so it's cool to be thinking about it and it's significance. It's exciting to read something new and to think on it and learn from it - I love it!

Got the email, sent you one back. Thanks - you are a super friend.

Mon Jul 10, 03:45:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

I think that even though Samson's motives were not right at the end, that Hebrews11 has Samson's name included - so we need to realise that we don't actually know all of his motives and thoughts....that's a much harder thing to think about.

I have always had issues with Samson, because he is so incredibly dumb!!

I think though, what he represents - in that God had especially set him apart from birth, shows how even the most special ones chosen by God, were turning their backs on Him. It shows how bad it got during the time of the judges, doesn't it.

I'm going to listen to AB's talk this week, while he's away - I will write more when I think more on the passage.

Mon Jul 10, 08:32:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

You are a super friend too. Thanks for your amazing encouragement and prayers. They are really inspiring.

Mon Jul 10, 08:32:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

Hey Ruth, thanks for your words, I agree and the more I think about it the more I get it. I just hadn't thought heaps on it before so it's good to chat and discuss. Thanks for writing and look forward to hearing moe when you have listened to the sermon - AB did a good job ;)

Tue Jul 11, 09:18:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Sat Jul 22, 12:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home