Thursday, August 24, 2006

biblical lessons in love


A few of us at work were talking about the columns in magazines where you get 'love' and relationship advice and I wondered 'why don't you have that in Christian publications'. Now if you did it would obviously be totally different to what is in the secular magazines BUT just because we are Christian doesn't mean that there shouldn't be godly, biblical and practical advice available.

So I thought I would email MC and let her know my thoughts about this idea, we are going to talk about it some more when we meet for coffee. I just speak to people about this kind of stuff and think that many could benefit from this.

I am not saying that it is down to the 'agony aunt' and that they should be the source and wisdom in the whole matter but to suggest godly, biblical, practical advice for people struggling in certain areas might be good. God and what the bible says should ALWAYS be where we go to on this matter, but real life experiences and advice is also valuble. Anyway this is just something floating in my head at the moment. It might not work and it might be a bad idea but just thought I would float the idea out there.

What does everyone else think about this as an idea?

12 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

You'd need to have a mixture of guys and girls and single people and 'couples' on the panel though. Not necessarily a panel...but people who you've okayed it with to give sound advice.
You know? So it's not just one person and their experience, it's a range of people with a range of experiences to help answer all the questions and give different ideas....

Thu Aug 24, 10:28:00 AM  
Blogger Nixter said...

I like it Han - thanks for that :)

Thu Aug 24, 10:41:00 AM  
Blogger Giraffe Pen (기린 만년필) said...

It's a brilliant idea. Thinking and acting lovingly isn't always natural to us (which is why we need the Bible to give us instructions on how to love).
Something I've discovered about people with personality disorders is that they've experienced some real or imagined rejection/abandonment from a significant care-giver, and they grow up into adults, not knowing how to love or accept love, and they have to 'be trained' in good relationships, as though they were little children.

Chrisitians too need to go through the same thing, especially for those who've gone through times in their life where there was no love. I think your idea can help fill that gap (although not all of the gap) and be a powerful tool in ministry.

Thu Aug 24, 02:37:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

I think it is a good idea too.

But I think that I have seen something like that in some Christian magazine somewhere... Maybe a teen girl christian mag from Focus on the Family or something like that. Not sure.

Thu Aug 24, 03:20:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

I am sure they have it in some US publications but not the ones I am thinking about here in Oz.

Thanks Tracy

Thu Aug 24, 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

Thanks for the feedbadk Haydn :)

Thu Aug 24, 03:49:00 PM  
Blogger Giraffe Pen (기린 만년필) said...

No worries.

Thu Aug 24, 03:57:00 PM  
Blogger onlinesoph said...

I really like the idea but make sure it's not daggy :)

Fri Aug 25, 10:16:00 AM  
Blogger Nixter said...

Yeah I hear you Soph.

Daggy = not good :)

Thanks for that.

Fri Aug 25, 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Priscilla said...

I was just thinking the same thing as Tracy...that I had seen it before. As a teenager, I had a subscription to Campus Life magazine...which was a christian magazine. I'm sure they had some sort of advice column.

I'm sure Focus on the Family has it. I thought they had publications in Australia by FOTF as well.

Fri Aug 25, 01:41:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

will have to check it out, I guess I was thinking about one particular Christian publication in Sydney who's editor goes to our church.

Fri Aug 25, 01:47:00 PM  
Blogger Priscilla said...

Aha!

Fri Aug 25, 01:50:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home