Tuesday, October 10, 2006

shared houses


There has been a discussion in the office today between myself and people who work for the company who share office space with us about 'shared houses'. There was lots of talk about what people thought about shared houses and what different scenarios there are.

For instance, is it ok for two girls and one boy to house share? Two boys and one girl? If so what happens when one of the girls or boys go away on holidays etc. What about one boy and one girl with no romantic interest? I don't believe the bible talks on this issue directly but I know when I lived in London a lot of mixed shared houses happen. This is because it is so expensive to live in London and it is practical to live with more people, I guess it is more a question about what is wise.

I myself have always shared houses with a couple of other girls and I have enjoyed it immensely, this is not because I wouldn't have considered a mixed shared house but because that was just how it turned out for me. I now have a permanent house mate, better know as 'my husband' but I was wondering what people thought about this? I don't know whether it is really a big issue but I thought I would put it out there as it was a topic of discussion here today.

Thoughts?

7 Comments:

Blogger SamR said...

I live in a 3 and 3 mixed share house. We all have our own rooms, and with 6 of us - I can't imagine anything happening that's not above reproach!

Tue Oct 10, 04:19:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

I think the more people you have in a mixed shared house the better for that very reason Sam.

What a fine bunch they are too - I met with one of the girls from your abode for lunch today!

Tue Oct 10, 04:23:00 PM  
Blogger Angus said...

I lived with three girls for about six months. We were all single, but nothing ever happened between any of us. It probably helped that they were all a bit older than me (23, 24 and 29 to my 21 at the time). And that they were all fairly mature and had lived in share houses before.

I was chatting about this to a friend the other night. If I was living in a sharehouse and I started going out with one of my housemates, one of us would have to leave. While I think I could be disciplined etc, I think the temptation would be pretty obvious.

Tue Oct 10, 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

Yeah Angus we discussed the same thing and decided that if that happened (two housemates started going out) that moving out would be a must. Thanks for your thoughts :)

Tue Oct 10, 10:36:00 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

In the NIV, there is a verse that says to "avoid the appearance of evil". I did a search trying to find the verse, but my software is NASB. Anyway, that is the issue in my mind of house sharing with opposite sex. What is it that non-christians think is likely going on in that house? If it is casual "friends with benefits" that is perceived by others, than it should be avoided.

I don't think about this in a legalistic way - like it is sin to be in a situation like this. But it appears that it might be sin. And we are to be above reproach in our lives so that our witness of Christ is unsullied.

For myself, I would not have house shared with a man when I was single. When Denis visited, he stayed with my male friends. One night, he did not go back because it was so late - he slept on my couch which was visible out the living room window. That is what I mean about not being legalistic. The point is not I will NEVER have a man overnight in my house. It is to make it obvious that there is no hanky panky going on here.

Wed Oct 11, 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Tracy - I agree.

I think if it were a shared house with just one man, one woman - it just appears 'odd' even if nothing is going on...and increasingly in our society - it can seem odd if just two men or just two women live together too.

I also agree with Angus and Nixter - if anything happens between two of the house mates - one better move out fast - not only to avoid obvious temptation - but also to avoid splitting the household environment if the couple break up - that could be quite messy.

Wed Oct 11, 08:53:00 PM  
Blogger Nixter said...

Thanks for the thoughts Ruth. Here Here.

Thu Oct 12, 09:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home